Will my career dictate where I live next?

Will my career dictate where I live next?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Option TWO : Engrish

If you’re an idiot and you speak 7 languages, it just means a lot more people can understand you’re an idiot. – Comedian John Caparulo

But I love languages John Caparulo! And not just because when you speak another language people think you’re smarter. I mean, everyone digs feeling smart, that's why people listen to NPR. What I love about language is that it allows people to connect with people that have perspective different from their own. I grew up with my eldest sister speaking Spanish. She even went to Korean school as a kid. OH! And she is taking Mandarin at a community college this summer. Needless to say, I admire her greatly and like to think some of that natural tendency toward language awesomeness is also in my genes. Y yo hablo un poquito espanol tambien. This brings us to our second life destination option, move to a country to learn another language. What will I do for work? Teach English of course! Programs vary, but the most popular is TEFL (http://www.tefl.com/), an intensive 4-week, low cost program that allows you to travel abroad, while learning another language yourself. Places for relocation include: Costa Rica (Spanish), Spain (Spanish) and Prague (Czech).

Although exciting, this would force me to put my career in advertising on hold momentarily. I guess advertising will always be there, but will I be sabotaging myself? Will the perspective I gain enrich the work I do later? I’m not going to worry about it too much. It’s for you to decide, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bestiversary trip

Bestiversary trip
Natasha and Annie in NYC

Teaching English in India

Teaching English in India
To exhiled Tibetans, newly arriving to Northern India.

New Zealand Arcade Game

New Zealand Arcade Game
Sheep sheering. How could I not fall in love with those wacky Kiwis?

The Nevis

The Nevis
Bungee. Where you meet people as crazy as you are.